Breakthrough Properties is a life science real estate investment company that leverages cross-sector collaboration to deliver environments that foster innovation and scientific breakthroughs. As a joint- venture between Tishman Speyer and Bellco Capital, combining Tishman Speyer’s global real estate platform with Bellco Capital’s deep life science investment expertise, Breakthrough is developing and delivering environments where companies can create life-changing therapies for patients. Breakthrough is led by an experienced management team with a proven track record investing, developing and operating best-in- class life science real estate. At Breakthrough, we seek to be a home for scientific discovery and innovation because we understand what scientists do, how they do it and why they do it.
Breakthrough is seeking a Director of Leasing to join our team. The Leasing Director will be responsible for day-to-day leasing responsibilities for Breakthrough properties, and coordinating strategic efforts to develop prospective life science tenant relationships. The role will be based in San Diego.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Knowledge, experience, and innate ability to source local, regional, national and international tenants through multiple sources as required. This includes developing and managing both internal and external relationships (brokers, consultants, universities, incubators etc.)
- Collaborate with Asset Management team on the execution of business plan and with Investments team on underwriting of new investment opportunities.
- Work in collaboration with marketing teams to develop leasing materials and collateral to support leasing strategy (video footage, renderings, events)
- Proven ability to implement, as well as research prospective tenants, and will be responsible for identifying and executing on new tenant opportunities
- Coordinate with landlord reps (brokers), in regional markets (if applicable) to understand market demand and rent rates. Support asset management analysis for market terms and rental growth
- Facilitate showings in Breakthrough properties and work collaborative with the services team, general contractor, sub-contractors, and leasing agent(s) to ensure that all operations support the focus on quality and client services
- Communicate, interact, and further develop beneficial relationships with the Company’s tenants, universities, institutions, coworking spaces and other key members to ensure long-term client relationships.
- Manage the successful completion and close-out of lease agreements to assure tenant occupancy and rent commencement by required dates
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of seven years of practical working experience in similar role at a Class A firm ideally in asset management or leasing with a demonstrated strong, independent leasing and management background
- Proficiency in evaluating new business opportunities from both a financial and conceptual level
- Previous experience in understanding life science space requirements and ecosystem is highly desirable
- Ability to assess market rents and value leases based on targeted returns, tenant profile and overall lease terms a must
- Advanced skills in negotiation strategy and techniques required; detailed oriented and ability to work through legal language and lease documentation.
- Knowledge of global life sciences industry and real estate drivers preferred
- Excellent presentation skills a must
- Willingness to travel
As an equal opportunity employer, Breakthrough Properties is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job-related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws.
- Asset Management
7+ to 10 years
This job is no longer active.