Riaz Capital is an Oakland, California based fully integrated development, investment, and asset management company, focused on addressing the changing housing needs of the millennial generation. Our mission is that anyone who earns area median income can afford a place they would love to call home by building transit-oriented high-quality apartments at an affordable price point for our residents.
Our vertically integrated development firm has operated in the Bay Area since 1977. Today, the Riaz Capital team manages over 1,500 units and has roughly 1,700 residences in the development or construction process, and possesses core competencies in development, construction, asset management, finance & capital markets to exercise control and speed of execution through every stage of the development cycle. In addition to new construction development, the firm has extensive experience in repositioning both urban and suburban workforce housing properties, and has executed several adaptive reuse projects. Our current activities are ~70% new construction and ~30% adaptive reuse and repositioning. Today, Riaz Capital has ~$500 million in real estate assets under management and with our current development pipeline, should reach $1 billion by 2024/25.
Our core new construction design is a 300 +/- square foot studio that incorporates all of the necessary functions of a housing unit. We have developed a design that works in a variety of building types: Townhouses, Mid-Rise Apartments, Substantial Rehab and Adaptive Reuse. Our current design and mission is a result of a years-long synthesis of our experience from micro-units, student housing, traditional multi-family, and co-living. Our units foster total privacy and security, which provides our residents with a sense of independence (and individuality) all within the fabric of a larger community. Each of our projects has an emphasis on architectural creativity, unique design, walkability, utilization of open space and personal privacy.
The Construction Manager (CM) will play a significant role in the deployment and success of our workforce housing strategy, as well as other Company initiatives. The CM will be responsible for managing of $100M+ in construction volume between multiple projects at different stages in the project life cycle. This is an ideal position for an experienced project and construction manager to get exposure to the whole development process, and to help define the trajectory of a quicky growing real estate company.
- Successfully estimate the costs of construction for your projects.
- Track the budget and manage accordingly during development and construction.
- Support the acquisitions department, and other Company departments as needed, on estimating costs and determining feasibility.
• OBTAIN BIDS AND CONTRACT PROJECTS:
- Organize scope letters and schedules accurately to obtain necessary contractor and sub-contractor proposals and bids.
- Contract around the approved budget.
- Manage bid and contract process with sub-contractors and General Contractors as applicable for entire projects working closely with VP of Development, attorneys, etc. to get appropriate contracts signed.
• PREPARATION OF CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS FOR BUILDING PERMITS:
- Responsible for managing the construction drawing compilation and development for certain projects.
- Starting at 50% CDs through 100 % CDs, use construction expertise to ensure building systems are designed in most efficient manner, working collaboratively with development and design team to implement brand standards and cost efficiencies in creation of drawings.
- Help manage Building Permit process, including drawing and consultant management, as well as submittal and plan check process with the City and other relevant parties to get issuance of Building Permits in a timely manner.
- Apply learning lessons from prior projects to the future projects by communicating to Development team in design, or by implementing into Construction Documents.
• PROJECT MANAGEMENT:
- Manage construction projects and relevant areas of permitting to ensure the success of your project and overall Company strategy.
- Will be responsible for on-site management of third party general contractors and consultants, as well as in house general contractor and sub-contractors as needed on applicable projects.
- Build-out and track construction schedule in MSFT project, communicating major milestone goals to our construction and development team, ensuring timely completion.
- Maintain an up-to-date hard cost budget, in the model and in the system, on an ongoing basis. Ensure fully accurate at least on a monthly basis during financial review and close.
- Review and approve vendor contracts, invoices, partial/final lien waivers and manage deliverables between our construction team and external vendors.
• COMPANY SUCCESS AND LEADERSHIP:
- Support VP of Development and other Senior Management to help define and execute on the goals of the Company, including but not limited to completing project-level goals and implementing new Department initiatives and processes.
- Degree in Construction Management, Architecture, Engineering, Construction Management, or a related field preferred
- 7+ years of experience in construction or project management
- Must have a minimum of 3 years of experience with local Bay Area construction code and processes
- Ability to manage multiple projects, prioritize, and take initiative in a fast paced environment.
- Experience managing ground up construction projects. Experience with ground up multi-family projects in California preferred.
- Experience using Microsoft Project scheduling function; basic knowledge of AutoCAD, Procore and Yardi are a plus
- Strong and proactive communicator
- Comfortable obtaining and negotiating bids and contracts with vendors and subcontractors.
- Experience estimating job budgets and schedules
- General interest in the real estate industry, with a desire to support the growth of a development company.
Riaz Capital is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in the workplace.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Start Date: Immediately
Location: Oakland Office
- Architecture / Design
- Project Management
5+ to 7 years
Apply for this job