As a senior leader and core member of our New York Development team, you will be engaged in leading the design, development, financing, execution and delivery of 1 Java, a major urban regeneration project on the Brooklyn Waterfront. Our New York Development portfolio currently includes: 277 Fifth Avenue, 130 condominium residences located on Fifth Avenue and East 30th Street; 100 Claremont, A 40-story mixed-use residential and academic tower located in Morningside Heights, Manhattan; and 1 Java Street, a full city block, mixed use and mixed income development featuring 800 rental units and a new waterfront esplanade.
The role is accountable for the coordinated management and leadership of the project across commercial, construction, design, legal, marketing, and project management disciplines as well as ensuring successful delivery in compliance with quality, safety and sustainability standards and to support the achievement of company objectives.
- Lead the overall project team to act as one integrated operation
- Responsible for the successful economic outcome of the site and vertical developments
- Oversee the design process alongside internal design functions and external architects
- Coordinate all joint venture and capital partner issues
- Ensure safe development operations and a safe community
- Coordinate with government authorities and undertaking community/stakeholder engagement
- Maintain project controls and report in a timely manner on development strategy, schedule, cost, revenue, and design
Essential Job Functions, Duties and Responsibilities
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and skills required of personnel so classified.
- Accountable for providing leadership and mentoring to direct reports to ensure results are delivered
- Be a point of escalation on complex issues
- Ensure direct reports receive sufficient support from the business to carry out responsibilities and that all ‘roadblocks’ to success are removed
- Facilitate a collaborative working environment between the project team and broader LL teams
- Responsible for the financial performance of the project. This includes management of the overall commercial assessment, assisting the business units in achieving their respective business plan targets for each development stage.
- Responsible for the overall achievement and performance of the project in accordance with the Business Plan
as approved or modified.
- Present and oversee preparation of reports for Project Control Groups, Management Committee meetings, Quarterly Project Reviews etc.
- Maintain controls in a timely manner and report with clarity on development strategy and schedules, the status of costs, revenues, and design
- Secure project capital, including internal approvals required for internal investment milestones, construction loans and third-party equity by partnering with Lendlease Treasury and Capital Solutions functions.
- Oversight of project team in the creation and development of all project components: waterfront esplanade, retail, residential, affordable housing, sustainability/resiliency including the built form and public domain/realm
- Effectively communicate proposed master planning, urban design guidelines and urban design intent of project elements to internal and external stakeholders
- Liaise with relevant project team to ensure timely and appropriate delivery of the master plan for integration with architectural, engineering, planning and public domain documentation and seek the appropriate input of relevant technical material to facilitate the production of master planning proposals
Government Approvals/ Entitlements
- Be highly conversant with local planning processes in general and particularly the relevant planning schemes and public agency coordination.
- Establish controls that track detailed requirements for various approvals.
- Coordinate with EGM to engage with government authorities as required. Delegate attendance of meetings to business unit representatives where appropriate but maintain overall responsibility for the relationship with all government authorities.
- Ensure consistency of approach, protocol and coordination with other activities of Lendlease.
Place Making & Community Engagement
- Responsible for the creation of great places and strong community. This includes both the physical manifestations of public realm and the “soft” components of community programs, events and activation of spaces.
- Create management plans for public spaces (before and after dedication) to ensure programs for use, maintenance and long-term adaptation are in place, resourced and actioned. Find permanent “owners” amongst the community for these management plans.
- Facilitate interaction with the community to elicit their input and to communicate our proposals. Provide an avenue for their involvement and help moderate discussions and positions that enable the project to advance with the general support of the community.
- Engage with the Lendlease Communications team to ensure consistency of approach, protocol and coordination with other activities of Lendlease.
Safety, Delivery & Sustainability:
- Accountability for ensuring safe development operations and a safe community.
- Design – seek out high quality consultant resources, manage them for timely resolution and check for thoroughly evaluated outcomes. E.g. peer reviews.
- Procurement – work with the Head of Operations to agree methodologies and then direct a process of procurement with a focus on best value, safe delivery and on-time delivery.
- Budget – control costs in accordance with the Project Business Plan and the overall project commercial assessment.
- Program – focus on planning, approvals and delivery in advance of development stages to ensure no delays to the commencement or activation of assets.
- Best practice, sustainability and innovation – ensure that infrastructure is developed and deployed with a focus on continual improvement and in accordance with Lendlease’s aspirations to be a sustainable and innovative market leader.
General Background and Minimum Requirements
- Relevant bachelor’s degree in business or property with post graduate qualifications desirable.
- 15 years of broad real estate management experience including development management, project management, new business and construction / delivery.
- Previous development experience in one or more market specialist sectors (office, retail, residential etc.) is preferred.
- Robust local network.
- Comprehensive understanding of the property industry.
- Entrepreneurial and commercial skills at a high level to define, champion and progress project objectives.
- Project management skills to ensure project objectives are delivered on time and within budgets.
- Leadership, problem solving, organizational planning skills.
- Ability to work in a matrix environment; ability to work collaboratively without needing to control resources in order to deliver outcomes.
- Strong interpersonal and facilitation skills, able to build trusting and respectful relationships with all levels of employees while driving results in their areas.
- First class decision making and influencing skills.
- Ability to act professionally and build trust, i.e. build partnerships/ relationships.
- Ability to adjust rapidly and frequently to new situations, able to help others accept and adapt to change.
- Ability to maintain a calm and positive attitude to inspire project teams regardless of the challenges of delivering complex and large-scale mixed-use projects.
More than 15 years